John Bailey Elected President Of AMPAS
On August 8, 2017, the Board of Governors at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences elected John Bailey to serve as the president of the organization.
Also elected to officer positions by the Board:
- Lois Burwell, First Vice President (chair, Awards and Events Committee)
- Kathleen Kennedy, Vice President (chair, Museum Committee)
- Michael Tronick, Vice President (chair, Preservation and History Committee)
- Nancy Utley, Vice President (chair, Education and Outreach Committee)
- Jim Gianopulos, Treasurer (chair, Finance Committee)
- David Rubin, Secretary (chair, Membership and Administration Committee)
Bailey is beginning his first term as president and his fourteenth year as a governor representing the Cinematographers Branch. Gianopulos, Kennedy, Rubin, Utley were re-elected to their posts. This will be the first officer stint for Burwell and Tronick.
Bailey’s cinematography credits include “Ordinary People,” “American Gigolo,” “The Big Chill,” “Groundhog Day,” “As Good as It Gets,” “The Anniversary Party,” “The Way Way Back” and “A Walk in the Woods.” In 2014 he received the American Society of Cinematographers Lifetime Achievement Award.
Academy board members may serve up to three consecutive three-year terms, while officers serve one-year terms, with a maximum of four consecutive years in any one office.
For a full listing of the Academy’s 2016-17 Board of Governors, please visit: http://www.oscars.org/about/board-of-governors