Danny Boyle, Lori Balton, Stuart Raven Barter To Be Feted At Location Managers Guild Int’l Awards
The LMGI will present director Danny Boyle with its Eva Monley Award April 8th, 2017. Pictured: Boyle (left), on the Utah set of “127 Hours” with actor James Franco.
Director Danny Boyle, location scout Lori Balton and location professional Stuart Raven Barter will receive special awards at the 4th Annual Location Managers Guild International Awards (LMGI) taking place April 8th, 2017. The event, hosted by NPR’s Rico Gagliano, will be conducted in the Steven J. Ross Theater on the Warner Bros. Studio lot in Burbank, CA.
Oscar-winning director, producer, screenwriter and theater director Danny Boyle will receive the guild’s Eva Monley Award. The Eva Monley Award is named after the spirited globe-trotting African location scout for John Huston, David Lean, and Otto Preminger, and honors industry professionals that support of the work of location specialists. Boyle received ten Academy Award nominations for his work on the film Slumdog Millionaire and won eight, including Best Director. He also won the Golden Globe®, Directors Guild Award and BAFTA Award for Best Director. Boyle’s additional film credits include Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, The Beach, 28 Days Later, Millions, 127 Hours and Steve Jobs. His television credits include Babylon, Strumpet, Inspector Morse and Screenplay, among many others. In addition to film, Boyle was the Art Director for Isles of Wonder, the opening ceremony of the 2012 London Summer Olympic Games. Boyle was among the British cultural icons selected by artist Sir Peter Blake to appear in a new version of the Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band album cover to celebrate famous British cultural figures.
The Trailblazer Award will be bestowed on Location Scout and LMGI past President Lori Balton. Balton was the first location scout to work solely on feature films and has collaborated with directors including Robert Redford, Martin Scorsese, Paul Thomas Anderson and Steven Spielberg to name a few. Balton was also the first location professional to be accepted into the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Balton is a founding member of the LMGI, co-editor of the Compass Magazine and a former member of the steering committee for Hollywood Teamsters 399.
Stuart Raven Barter will receive the Lifetime Achievement Award. Barter’s body of work encompasses film and commercials. A master photographer of light and composition, Barter’s mentors include Ridley and Tony Scott, Bob Giraldi and commercial icon Joe Pytka. In addition to his renown work with the Scott brothers, Barter is also known for his music video work, such as Michael Jackson’s “Beat It,” for which Barter received an Art Director credit in addition to his critical role as location scout and manager. Among his many other credits are Unstoppable, True Romance, Thelma & Louise, Crimson Tide, Matchstick Men, and Man on Fire, as well as the European Marlboro commercial campaign.
The complete list of nominees for the 4th ANNUAL LOCATION MANAGERS GUILD INTERNATIONAL AWARDS are:
OUTSTANDING LOCATIONS IN A PERIOD TELEVISION SERIES
• Game of Thrones – Matt Jones/LMGI, Naomi Liston/LMGI • Stranger Things -Tony Holley/LMGI • The Crown – Pat Karam, Robert Bentley/LMGI • The Man in the High Castle – Nicole Noelle Chartrand, Robert Murdoch • Westworld – Mandi Dillin/LMGI
OUTSTANDING LOCATIONS IN A CONTEMPORARY TELEVISION SERIES
• Better Call Saul, Season 2 – Christian Diaz de Bedoya • Bosch – Robert Paulsen, Paul Schreiber/LMGI • Goliath – Jason Kaplon/LMGI, Mike Barry/LMGI • Scandal – Veronique Vowell/LMGI • The Affair – Sean Ilnseher • The Night Manager -Tom Howard, Daniel Sampedro Palerm
OUTSTANDING FILM COMMISSION
• Creative Scotland – The BFG • Nevada Film Office – Jason Bourne • New Mexico Film Office – Hell or High Water/Preacher • NY State Governor’s Office of Motion Picture Development – The Girl on the Train • Royal Film Commission of Jordan – Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
OUTSTANDING LOCATIONS IN A COMMERCIAL
• “Bulbs” (Macbook Pro) – David Doumeng/LMGI, Charlie Love/LMGI • “Rally” (O Organics) – Byll Williams/LMGI, Phill Kane/LMGI • “The Carpool to Rio” (Visa) – Heather Haase/LMGI, Ron Shino, Johnny Catrolli, Rob Darwin • “This Land is Your Land” (Johnnie Walker) – JJ Levine/LMGI, Will Brewster, Patrick Burn, Dana Hanby • “World’s Biggest Asshole” (PSA Donate Life) – Galidan Nauber/LMGI, Cale Hanks
OUTSTANDING LOCATIONS IN A PERIOD FILM
• Hacksaw Ridge – Edward Donovan • Hail, Caesar! – John Panzarella, Leslie Thorson/LMGI • Hidden Figures – Wes Hagan/LMGI, Dan Gorman/LMGI • Live by Night – JJ Hook/LMGI, Laura Bryant • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story – Mark Somner, David O’Reilly/LMGI
OUTSTANDING LOCATIONS IN A CONTEMPORARY FILM
• Hell or High Water – Jonathan Slator/LMGI, Erik Keeling-Torrez • Jason Bourne – Chris Moore, Peter Martorano/LMGI • La La Land – Robert Foulkes/LMGI, Steve Beimler/LMGI • Lion – Hugo Cran, Sandeep Rudra, Harsh Dave • Manchester by the Sea – Kai Quinlan, Alex Berard